Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Supercomputer??

I love my game shows.  Wheel of Fortune, Price is Right, Match Game, Deal or No Deal.....

I especially love Jeopardy.  "Here's your host.....Allllllllexxxxxxx TreeeeeeeeBEK!"
Jeopardy is getting a lot of media attention recently.  They will have the two "smartest" contestants playing against an IBM-built supercomputer named Watson.  (I roll my head around in circles in utter disbelief).  Humans competing against a computer!?! Technology, man...it's crazy!

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/01/ibm-watson-jeopardy/

The game is going to be a three-day match, starting on February 14.  Valentine's Day, how romantic.  People might be excited to watch this game.  To me, I'm terrified, not so much about the game, but about the future.  What's gonna happen next?  What people don't realize is that this is a HUUUGE advancement that could make humans obsolete.  We are that much closer to the movie "I, Robot" becoming a reality.  I don't want Will Smith running around, trying to deactivate these robots we humans created.  I mean, come on...he's intimidating.


I'm just being pessimistic about this whole ordeal.  It is a good thing for the advancement in medicine, and technology, and I get that, but I am an English major.  If this computer named Watson can form sentences and understand how I'm feeling (not my words, Watson's words...read the article), human beings creating written word will be gone.  And when they are gone, just know that I told you so.

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment