Monday, February 14, 2011

Time Wasted

I decided to monitor my time using technology this weekend...ha! What a mistake.

I started out by keeping a log on a pink Post-It note next to my computer, and I would leave a little tally mark every time I sat down at my desk.  I was very diligent about remembering to keep track on Thursday and Friday.  By Saturday, I had lost the Post-It note.  Stupid paper.  I blame my dog.  However, I do know that the amount of hours I spend on my computer kind of disgusts me.  I'm sitting online chatting with my friends, whereas years ago, that time would have been spent talking in person.  The Internet has transformed my "real" friendships into something superficial, and I'm not sure if I am okay with this. This past weekend, during the time I was tracking my technology use, I found myself forgetting to track times when I would use my iTouch instead of my laptop, or listen to the radio in my car.  People nowadays take advantage of all the technology around them, and I am no exception.  My little experiment this weekend was eye-opening and led me to want to withdraw myself from the constant use of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment