Monday, February 7, 2011

Football, Shmootball

Yesterday, being overwhelmed with homework and trying to accomplish all my goals for the day, I forgot to do my biweekly blogging.  I apologize to all my readers a.k.a. myself and my mom.

After watching the Super Bowl last night, I got to thinking.  How much work goes into planning and executing a game of that magnitude?  It blew my mind trying to fathom all the intricate hours of scheduling and organizing both the technological side to the game and entertainment aspects.  So much money goes into football.  Why? Why do Americans settle for a billion-dollar stadium to be built, when the government is trillions of dollars in debt?  The players' salaries are unbelievable as well.  As a football fan myself, it is still hard to wrap my mind around this concept.  How has the new American past time become so over-indulged?  What started out as a sport for spectators to enjoy has transformed into over-payed athletes, incompetent coaches, and gluttonous fans who live paycheck to paycheck.  Unbelievable.

Oh, and not to mention the celebrity "entertainment".  Christina Aguilera...once a teen idol, now a person who stumbles over the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner.  How American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7_8sxvLIw

Black Eyed Peas...um, is that supposed to be good singing, Fergie?  If I'm not mistaken, dancing all up on Slash doesn't constitute entertainment.  Awful.  Distasteful and awful.

My bitterness might be misconstrued as being anti-football.  I am not.  I love everything about the sport.  I just can't understand the money aspect and how the NFL is becoming so commercialized in every aspect.  I wish it could go back to the old days, where tickets weren't outrageously expensive and fans enjoyed the good sportsmanship of each other, not belligerently starting fights in the stands or yelling hateful things to their opponents.  But alas, it seems that is only a dream.  The world will never get back to the way it once was, where everything was simple in concept and design.  Today, its all about bigger, FASTER, stronger!

Anyways, that's my rant.
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment